The US Justice Department on Friday partially appealed a federal judge’s decision to authorize the appointment of an independent expert to review documents seized by the FBI during a search of Donald Trump’s home that classified as classified. The investigation is going on around the classified documents.
Since last week federal investigators have been barred from reviewing thousands of documents seized from the former president’s home on Aug. 8, after a judge decided to appoint an independent arbitrator to do as lawyers want. .
The Justice Department argued Friday night that Judge Eileen Cannon “made a fundamental error in appointing an expert” and fixed this injunction, but marked the “hundred or so documents recovered from Mr. Trump’s property (+ classified + )” limited to .
The Justice Ministry said delaying the investigation of classified documents, which the ministry says are government property, “hurdles the government’s efforts to ensure the nation’s security.”
“It causes irreparable damage to the government by blocking important steps in the ongoing criminal investigation and by unnecessarily forcing the disclosure of highly sensitive documents, including those of plaintiffs’ lawyers,” the department said.
The appeal will be considered by a panel of three judges. Ultimately the Supreme Court may have to decide.
On August 8, the FBI raided Mar-a-Lago, the residence of Donald Trump in Florida, and confiscated boxes of confidential documents that Republicans had not returned after leaving the White House despite several requests.
Federal investigators suspect that Republicans have thus violated a US law on espionage that very strictly regulates the possession of confidential documents. Donald Trump assured that these documents have been made public.
Donald Trump, who openly plans to run for president in 2024, has since come under storm against a finding he considers “illegal and unconstitutional” and reiterates that he was targeted for political reasons.